Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Quetzalcoatl

The last class (May 18th) we were asked to look up the word "Quetzalcoatl". I didn't even know it was a word, so I had no idea what it was. Hence, I opened my trusty Google homepage and Googled it. I found it to mean "feathered snake". This was a deity from the ancient world that tribes like the Aztecs worshipped. The Quetzalcoatl, was a god to the ancient tribes used to represent their armies and war. For an illustration, I would like to give credit to Dan Staten for his incredible illustration of what a Quetzalcoatl represented. The following is a link to Staten's website with the image: http://www.staten-illustration.com/pieces/Quetzalcoatl.htm

On a personal note, isn't it interesting how so many of these mythical creatures and ancient animals seen in so many long ago and lost cultures depict the resemblance of dragons? The idea is quite fascinating to me.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment